Move over mashed potatoes: This rich, smooth alternative is perfect for when a dry quality begins to accumulate in the body. Warm, slightly oily coconut cream and coconut oil help counter that dryness, and they’re revered in Ayurveda for their calming effect on the gut. Plus, the sweetness and dense fiber of yams satisfy the sweet tooth that tends to turn on in cool weather.
- 6 medium–large yams (garnet or jewel)
- ¼ cup coconut cream, skimmed from the top of 1 can coconut milk*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp peeled, finely grated ginger root
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Pierce each yam with a fork a few times, and place on a baking sheet. Bake yams until soft, about 1 hour. Wait until yams are cool enough to handle, then peel skin.
- In a bowl, combine yams, coconut cream, coconut oil, ginger, and salt. Use a hand blender (or transfer to a standing blender or mixer) and blend until smooth.
- Transfer whipped yams to a serving bowl and top with shredded coconut.
* Save the milk for soups and curries